My sister-in-law Mirna continues to fuel my inspiration when it comes to food. Over Thanksgiving, she whipped out a warm fruit and berry oatmeal breakfast that I fell in love with. It’s so easy, is gluten-free and has little or no sugar depending on the topping you use. You can make it in a large pan or a small pan. Just adjust fruit and oatmeal amounts accordingly. This is perfect for a breakfast with company or for a brunch. It looks like a fruit cobbler but the only sweetness is from the fruit.
Here’s my variation.
- For 6 servings, use a deep dish pie pan like I did or a 8.5” x 11” baking pan. A springform pan would be great too.
- 2.5 lbs. fresh or frozen mixed fruit. I used what I had in my freezer and leftover from summer. Feel free to improvise with your favorite fruits.
- My combination consisted of:
- 1 bag of cubed mango
- 1 bag of frozen mixed berries
- 1 bag of frozen cherries
- 1 bag of frozen raspberries
- 1 fresh banana, sliced thinly
- ½ - 1 tsp. cinnamon, depending on how spicy you like it
- 1 cup of my homemade granola (see this website for recipe). Mirna used about a cup of plain oatmeal instead of the granola, which makes a thicker mixture that cooks into the fruit.
- Yogurt and honey (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients together in the baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until fruit is bubbly.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle granola or oatmeal on top. Return to the oven for another 20 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
I love this warm but it is still delicious after being refrigerated for several days.
Serve with a dollop of yogurt and a drizzle of honey.