Color is the theme of this vibrant and hearty side dish that delivers both bold flavors and textures. Reminiscent of something Italian, it is the picture-perfect picnic dish. Using a mandoline or vegetable slicer will make quick work of prepping the veggies. Be sure to slice them thinly, 1/8″ – 1/4″ thick, or you will be waiting forever for it to finish cooking. I used my herbal olive oils from The Virtuous Olive, to really push the flavors. It’s ok to use different veggies from the ones I chose. This is delicious hot or cold. Just paint your palette and be prepared for rave reviews!
Summer Garden Side
- 1-2 zucchinis (thinly sliced.)
- 2-3 bright red tomatoes (thinly sliced)
- 1 eggplant (thinly sliced, then cut into half rounds)
- 3 garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 1-2 tsp. chopped fresh herbs (thyme, basil, parsley or your choice or use herbs de Provence)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil an 8 X 10″ pan. The size of the pan is not important. If you are feeding a crowd, use a larger pan and prep more veggies.
- Toss veggies lightly in Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Layer zucchini slices along the side of the pan. Sprinkle with garlic, scatter the herbs and lightly salt. Repeat layering with tomatoes, garlic, herbs and salt, then the eggplant, garlic, herbs and salt. Continue layering until you’ve reached the end of the pan. If there are gaps, like I had in mine, roll up thin slices of zucchini and tomato to form mini roses. They serve a purpose and look pretty too. Drizzle entire dish with Bel Tocco Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Basil Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Bake for 1 hour or until veggies are soft but not soggy. Let cool and serve either warm or cold.
This story is re-published from a July 2015 post. It is the perfect way to use those fresh, summer veggies.
even the stars
are whispering to each other.”
— Kobayashi Issa
Enjoy your summertime!