Labor Day’s Swan Song of summer demands a final salute to the ambrosial fruits the season delivered. This recipe is so simple it’s embarrassing but I make it over and over and continue to receive rave reviews. Peach Balsamic Vinegar is its secret ingredient, drawing the flavors out of the watermelon and complimenting the mint. It also brings a sweet and sourness that makes this salad unique. The addition of figs is optional but the two fruits are the perfect union. Each bite is a mouthful of cool, crisp tang that will create a smile!
- 1 medium watermelon, cut into cubes
- ¼ cup barely chopped fresh mint
- 2-3 Tablespoons Peach Balsamic Vinegar or White Balsamic Vinegar
- 3-4 figs, sliced lengthwise into quarters
- Place watermelon in a large bowl. Gently stir in mint, then vinegar. Fold in the figs.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Be prepared for no leftovers!
“Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influence of the earth.”
― Henry David Thoreau, Walden
Ciao and Happy Labor Day Holiday!